Monday, October 02, 2006

10 Unread Books Meme and a Review

I posted my review of The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor, a retelling of Alice in Wonderland. In the same vein as Maguire’s Wicked, though not quite as good.

Hornswaggled from the Hornswaggler himself… The 10 Unread books mem

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher – I really enjoyed Storm Front and with the TV show upcoming, I want to get into this soon.

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman – I feel I should read this before I get Fragile Things.

Son of the Witch by Gregory Maguire – I loved Wicked, got this about a year ago, but haven’t gotten to it yet.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson – I never got around to reading Elantris, so I figured this might be a good starting point for the new author.

Innocents Aboard by Gene Wolfe – really, is there a defendable excuse for having an unread Gene Wolfe book on my shelf? I didn’t think there was.

The Hidden Stars by Madeline Howard – Ms. Howard has a forum at SFFWorld and I’ve been meaning to read this for a while, shame on me.

The Chosen by Ricardo Pinto – Gary Wassner spoke very highly of this book as have others.

Tales of the White Wolf edited by Karl Edward Wagner – a collection of short stories about Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melnibone. With writers like Tad Williams and Neil Gaiman, I couldn’t pass this up in the used bookstore.

A Hymn Before Battle by John RingoSFFWorld forum member Ouroboros goes on quite a bit about this book and series. I saw it in the local used bookshop and figured I’d give it a try.

The Last Coin by James P. Blaylock – this one has been on the shelf for at least a year, and I’ve heard wonderful things about Blaylock.

I’m sure most people who read my blog already know this, but it is worth mentioning: Clarkesworld Magazine launched yesterday. Good luck to Neil and Nick.

Last but not least, the latest installment of Greenhorn made me smile very broadly.

No comments: