Saturday, July 01, 2006

Vampires, Knights, and Spaceships

I posted my review of Scott Westerfeld's Peeps today. I liked this one very much, one of my favorite reads so far this year. I know I just said that with Paragaea, but it holds true for Peeps, too. This was one of the more clever spins on the Vampire legend/myth/cliche I have read in quite some time. There are too many Vampire novels out there to read all of them; this is one I would suggest NOT missing. I read the sequel, The Last Days, too. I'll post that review once the book's publication date draws closer.

As my sidebar indicates, I've got two books on the docket right now, John Scalzi's The Ghost Brigades and Greg Keyes' The Blood Knight. I think, outside of George R.R. Martin, Keyes is writing the best Epic Fantasy saga on the shelves right now. I've been looking forward to this one since I finished The Charnel Prince almost two years ago.

As for John's book, I really enjoyed Old Man's War when it was the discussion book back in May at SFFWorld's Science Fiction forum.

Thank God and Mother Nature the weather finally broke today. After the soggiest week I can remember, we actually had a full day of sun here in Central New Jersey. Mrs. Blog o' Stuff and I were finally able to get some outdoor projects around the house closer to completion.

The next county over really did get hit bad with floods and water damage. Towns were flooded for a majority of the week and Main Street in New Hope, PA (a relatively popular day trip for Jersyians) was completely underwater with some businesses ruined.

No comments: